Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Stories Untold

Nobody warns you, when you first begin to create art, that at times it will consume you. Nobody tells you that you will be drawn, sometimes inexplicably, to people and objects and places. Nobody teaches you how to make peace with the pull, with the untold stories inside of you...and so art is born.  
 
 
 How can I explain this shoot, other than to tell you that I saw these pictures inside my mind before I captured them with my camera? I had to tell the story. 
 
 
 
I knew where and when the story took place, and I knew who played the lead. I laughed at myself for attempting to explain "longing" and "vacancy" to eleven year old Sadie Grace, but she got it. As soon as I began to shoot, she fell into character...vulnerable, lonesome and introspective.  She knew the story too.  
 

 
 
I feel certain that these images, my story, will mean something different to everyone.  Some will see sadness, or innocence, perhaps a glimmer of hope, a subtle strength.  What do they make you feel/imagine/create/see?
 
What's your story?



2 comments:

  1. Hi Nad, These are stunning. I think what I see most is compassion. For whatever was in Sadie's mind she looks so sweet, and considerate. She looks as though far beyond what she sees is something we'll never know and yet it is so close it is tangible. Her age is one of wonder and awe, but of uncertainty for the world is not showing her as much hope as we possibly had at her age. Great photos. Love you! xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sadie is an old soul. She looks as if she has a better understanding of the present moment than most of us do as adults. Great work!

    ReplyDelete